Tuesday, July 13, 2010

UB40 says Red Red.... something

Ello ello there...
I beg forgiveness for being so utterly miserable at updating my blog. I couldn't upload my photos from Venice while I was there and I've been super lazy since I got back to England (inexcusable really). My study abroad was absolutely fantastic. The course was riveting and the city was so awesome. Being there for a month meant that I didn't get a shoddy tourist view (which I'm not slamming) but I was able to get to know the streets, the city and some of the people. I am buddies with a waiter named Guido (Jersey shore, I know!!) and got free shots from my English pub bartenders in addition to having a favorite morning fruit man and a coffee shop whose waiters wished we would leave them alone and stop ordering caffe Americanos haha. Venice shall come later but for now something I've been brewing for a while.

It really started after seeing this woman on the big screen:
Some are going... do you mean Helena Bonham Carter? But others are correct in going... What the eff? The Red Queen?
Answer is hell yes... the RED Queen.

She's pretty iconic for her color co-ordination, I mean here she is from my childhood Disney book having her minions paint here roses red:
That's dedication to rouge really...

So red is the name of the game today (durrr)
How many shades can you come up with.... I've got
Crimson, Cherry, Fire Engine, Burgundy, Carmine, Ruby, Vermillion but there's tons more (challenge yourselves)
Red is typically the color associated with lust, passion, power (Red Queen you are so damn right), warning, anger and courage.
It's a very overpowering color that some can pull off and others can't... I'm trying to think of items of clothing I own that are completely red and none are really springing to mind other than a burgundy shirt I have in every color under the rainbow.... (Uniqlo are like the Japanese Gap and these wonderful cotton shirts are the best basic ever)

So lets foray into my fashion encyclopedia from the Spring looks:

Love me some Tommy Hilfiger and Victoria Beckham. Each choose to feature long column like red dresses that scream 'Look at me!'. I can see the Tommy dress on the street or walking along a boardwalk paired with a distressed jean jacket and some spectacular gladiator sandals, but there is only one way you can wear Victoria Beckham clothes and that is with sky high heels. Platforms are preferable... but the point is not to see them, they're just meant to add height to the Amazon like woman floating in the red gown.

Elie Saab and Versus couldn't be less alike. Again with Saab we're seeing a long, Grecian style dress (albeit in a softer red that is leaning towards pink) but Versus is playing up the thigh skimming length and slits (Hey! Didn't I do a freakishly long post about slits?... Look down) I can wearing myself the Versus to a Saatchi opening (when I receive my invite) with a pair of these Nicholas Kirkwood heels... gorgeous right?

Here we're looking at two Donna Karan creations. The dress could be a Red Queen-goes-to-the-ball outfit, while the suit could be a Red-Queen-buisness-style-ass-kicking outfit.... Anyway the suit is powerdressing to the max. Was just in the Financial district in London and all I saw was the usual mass of black... maybe the fashionable ladies don't consort with us normal people at lunch.
Finally we've got the heavy hitters: Badgley Mischka and Dior, each with silky, sultry confections. The Dior dress is channeling underwear -as- outerwear again and is perfectly cut... as usual. And the Mischka dress is stuh-nning, the necklace definitely adds some class and glamor. I have one that reminds me of it.
Got this at Topshop the second week I was home from Venice. I think I was tired of walking around without my usual bunch of necklaces and wearing typical tourist clothes, so I went all out with the glitz... I kinda love this. It brightens up a plain black tee and can go from day to night faster than you can say Rouge. All I need now is that dress.... any offers haha.

Anyway that's all for now folks. I'll try not to be so irregular.

- Life is great despite not being able to go to Canada for a few days

Listening to: Kiss 100 radio
Observations: Just turned off From Paris with Love - Even John Rhys-Meyers couldn't save that disaster
Craving: My overdue trip to Canada or some London time

1 comment:

  1. I think I am gonna have to take credit for the Amazon woman quote ;)
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete