Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Silver and Gold

Earlier this evening my sister messaged me proudly proclaiming that 'Mary Katrantzou's room collection is on net-a-porter.com. I wanna buy one soooo bad!' I am so proud. Well of course I decided to abandon studying in favor of perusing the fashion megawebsite and I found some fabulous rings that make me wish I was the type of person who wears them.


This YSL ring got me so excited, it's not even funny. Even thinking about it now gets my heart going. After spending two years exploring every crevice and bend of my fingerprints for my IB Art show I finally find a real life example of prints in fashion... AHHHHH! It's gorgeous. I couldn't help throwing in some more workbook pages features many of my print experiments.
 After all that blood, sweat and tears I feel like this would make a fabulous keepsake. Oh so sentimental.

Next there is this fabulous Dominic Jones piece that looks like crocodile claws clasped together so peacefully as if awaiting the chance to envelop your finger. There is something just a tad playful about it, but still something you could be seen sporting when you shake hands with Karl Lagerfeld for the first time. My tangent oriented brain latched on the crocodile idea and sent me down the path of Aboriginal art and the common depiction of alligators (let's not get onto the crocodile/alligator debate) in their works.

 Aurelie Bidermann's woven ring looks like someone has liquefied gold and spun it on a loom to create this unique wire textured effect.
We'd been talking about the advent of the textile industry and the printing press in Art History lately, so I thought it was relevant here. I thought of another jeweler who uses wool and weaves intricate necklaces; Heather Goldberg has a unique style that mixes yarns and crystals to create a very urban, hobo-chic look that I would definitely be caught dead in.

I'll say it again, Alexander McQueen can do no wrong and this bird skull ring is a fresh twist on his normally human skull oriented work. The ring is gigantic and covers both knuckles of the finger like a glorious sheath. Gotta love me some skulls...
 It'd be hard to top Damien Hirst's For the Love of God which caused a huge splash when it was reportedly sold for $100 million...
I can't wait for the first half of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to come out just so I can watch the Three Brothers scene over and over again. It was a magical film moment when the story turned into an animated sequence that ebbed and flowed in such a way that made me wish that the whole story had been written that way. Relevance: the uber scary, skeletal figure of death would make a fabulous ring as well. 



  Another Dominic Jones masterpiece, but this time featuring a wonderfully exotic beetle that any collector would love to showcase. My Egyptian heritage was tickled pink to see this and so...

 The Ancient Egyptians revered the scarab because they compared it's routine of rolling dung across the desert to the sun god, Ra, rolling the sun across the sky. Those turquoise beads can be found everywhere in Cairo and traditionally they have the markings of the craftsman who made them on the back, each had his own individual signature so you could identify them.
Back to Eddie Borgo, whose chain mail, hinged ring makes me think of knights in armor and Medieval wars. No wonder it is sold out online, it's exceptionally avant garde and modern.  
He used the same technology used in armor to allow it to bend and flex so it's utilitarian and not just a cast for your finger... so unfashionable.
 Both Viktor and Rolf and Gareth Pugh have had collections that have looked life armor and you'd be the most bad-ass person around sporting either dress with the ring.

And on that note, good night!

 - Life is good


Listening to: My Renaissance Art prof 
Observations: Anna Wintour's WSJ. Magazine interview which I want to follow up on
Craving: Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment