Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Mmmmmm Bacon

Sitting in Toronto before a doctor's appointment and my flight later tonight and I'm starving! I'm supposed to be fasting in preparation for my bloodwork, but it's bloody hard to do when you find the LCBO's  Christmas edition of Food & Drink magazine... Seriously I had to have a chat with my salivary glands. And then I came up with a brilliant way to satisfy my hunger cravings, or at least make them disappear...


Bacon!




Oh friends, you thought I meant this didn't you?
Yes, how better to torture myself further than look at the crispy, succulent goodness of everyone's favourite breakfast staple. By the way, vegetarians I implore you to stop reading...


No, I'm talking about this Bacon

Francis Bacon. Artist extraordinaire 1909 - 1992

Painter of wonderfully abstract and expressive imagery. He's probably best known for this horrifically wounding triptych Three Figures at the Base of a Crucifixion 1944. 


Now don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic artist, a revolutionary, but when you're craving food looking at Figure with Meat, 1954 makes my stomach turn a little, and voila! I'm not hungry
This painting has roots in paintings by Baroque masters Velasquez and Rembrandt... don't believe me?


 Portrait of Pope Innocent X, 1650, Diego Velsaquez


Carcass of Beef, 1657, Rembrandt.


Pope + carcass = Bacon. I'm destined to be a mathematician. After my blather on about still lifes I started to think of Pieter Aertsen's painting A Meat Stall, 1551.  That cow is begging me not to eat him and I really have no desire to.

On that note, I should head off to get this show on the road. I'll be blogging to you from England next, oh how exciting!

- Life is good

[BaconBacon Portrait, All paintings are from Wikipedia]

Listening to: 'Life in the Foodchain' - Tonio K
Observations: A Grinch style cocktail I just found in Food & Drink, mid-blown
Craving: Wow that was dark

No comments:

Post a Comment