Friday, January 13, 2012

What the water gave me

In terms of which season I'm in right now it couldn't be clearer: winter bloody winter but when it comes to which season of fashion I'm supposed to be paying attention to I couldn't be more confused. I'm still clinging to the gorgeousness of some of the Fall 2011 collections, staring at Resort 2012 in the stores, trying to acclimatize to the Spring 2012 collections and then I'm being slapped with Pre-Fall 2012 faster than I can keep up with. And to make matters worse the Fall 2012 season is creeping creeping closer.

While I bathe in deep hydrating moisturizer to battle the effect of winter winds and try layering without looking like the Michelin Man I turn to the onslaught of Spring advertising campaigns to make me feel better. And no-one does it like Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel.

For Spring Karl created an fantastical white underwater world which was the perfect backdrop for the gorgeous nymph-like creations he showed.
 The Grand Palais transformed into a pristine ocean floor

Pearly pastels and graceful sea creatures. 

The fine details are always my favourite part of the show, especially these coral heels with their lovely subtle ocean allusions. 

Low and behold after the last model had finished Florence (of Florence & the Machine) pops out of a giant clam shell singing her glorious little heart out in a stunning beaded Chanel creation that looks like ropes of seaweed, but in the best way possible.


The power duo leading their army of fishy models

After twenty minutes of runway magic could it get any better? 

And the answer is yes... The spring campaign is absolutely stunning. Shot in black and white, by Karl himself, Saskia de Brauw and Joan Smalls pose in an array of airy dresses in the most fierce way... on gymnastic equipment suspended over water. 









I almost forgot that it was an advertising campaign, it's so high fashion it could be performance art. Andre Leon Talley would definitely frame this and hang it in his salon. Maybe I shouldn't have quit gymnastics as a kid...

- Life is good

Listening to: 'What The Water Gave Me' - Florence and the Machine
Observations: Winter skin is driving me insane
Craving: To sign a house soon

No comments:

Post a Comment